Effective prevention often starts by raising awareness of harmful stereotypes and attitudes that create vulnerabilities and are barriers to youth seeking help. United Against Human Trafficking utilizes the Not a #Number curriculum for youth prevention of trafficking. The course is designed to be completed through a total of five 1 hour meetings. Not a #Number uses a holistic approach focusing on respect, empathy, individual strengths, and the relationship between personal and societal pressures that create or increase vulnerabilities in youth.
THROUGH OPEN CONVERSATIONS, ENGAGING ACTIVITIES, THE USE OF MEDIA, AND OPPORTUNITIES FOR SELF-DISCLOSURE, PARTICIPANTS WILL:
- Raise their awareness of what constitutes human trafficking and exploitation
- Learn how to recognize recruitment tactics and understand vulnerabilities
- Challenge harmful stereotypes and societal attitudes
- Identify healthy support systems
- Develop skills to safely navigate potential and existing exploitative situations
- Learn how to access community resources when situations occur that increase their vulnerability (or if exploitation is already underway)